Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Stupid Questions People Ask

Last night over dinner with some girlfriends, we had a rant about stupid questions people ask, in particular those that pertain to reproduction. Sometimes, these questions can be attributed to just being 'young and dumb', other times, it's just a lack of sensitivity. Here's some examples of conversations:

a: So, you've been together with your husband for a while, when are you going to have kids?
b: I'm not sure.
a: Do you
want kids?
b: Yes, I do.
a: How old are you?
b: 36.
a: Well then what are you waiting for?

There are several variations of this conversation. They all suck when you're having to deal with failed IVF procedures. And even if you haven't had to resort to IVF, when you're trying to get pregnant, it rarely happens instantly and therefore trying to answer these questions with composure, is difficult. Especially when they are thrown at you casually from people you barely know.

There's a million and one reasons why you and your partner may not have kids. Maybe the relationship is unstable and you're sure if you want to procreate with this person. Maybe you hate kids. Maybe your uterus is covered with a thousand fibroids making conception very unlikely. Maybe you want kids but your partner doesn't. Maybe your partner has a low sperm count. Why should I have to explain this to acquaintances or even strangers? Do I ask to see your medical records?

No comments:

Post a Comment