Monday, May 2, 2011

I just waddled my ass up to the local elementary school to vote in the federal election. Of course I didn't vote for the Conservatives. I wonder if all those mothers out there on maternity leave who voted for Harper realize they have the Liberals to thank for their full year leave? It's been over ten years now since Paul Martin and his Liberal majority government passed legislation that changed maternity leave from 6 months to a year. This would've never happened with a Conservative in power.

Of course there are still problems maternity leave in Canada. The fact that we only receive %55 of a maximum $40,000 salary should be reviewed. Salaries have gone up since the legislation passed. It also seems there's a underlying sexist attitude that assumes that this %55 is a sufficient amount because in the majority of households the father is the primary breadwinner. In many cases, this simply isn't true. But even with these shortcomings, maternity leave is a hell of a lot better than it used to be. Can you imagine leaving your little tot after only six months in order to secure your job? No more breast milk for them! No more mid morning cuddles or watching them learn how to crawl! It's going to be hard enough to leave them after a year!

And by the way, I didn't vote Liberal either.

No comments:

Post a Comment